Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

When I Think of research...

Initially, when I thought of research, the whole idea of it frightened me.  This class was actually giving me anxiety problems.  However, I now feel much more confident with my knowledge of what research entails and being able to understand research when I read it or should I conduct it myself.


I've learned that research doesn't have to be scary.  I really thought it was quite smart how the steps involved were broken down for us and then in the end, we were able to fit the pieces of the puzzle together to see research as a whole.


I've learned a lot about research in terms of the planning and the timeline of the research.  I hadn't thought before about the time involved in something as simple as conducting an interview.  My attention was also brought to the fact that validity in research is paramount.  Without validity, the study can be a waste.  


There were a few bumps in the road when learning about research for me.  At times, I didn't always understand the text. At first, I would become frustrated, but then i learned to just re-read it again (and sometimes 3 times) until I understood. Next, I also had to learn to be very concise in my statements, especially in my hypothesis.  I learned that this needs to be very narrowed.


In total, I have much more respect for the all of the early childhood professionals that have done research.  I have had to read over many research articles since I started my courses with Walden University.  However, I can say I have a new appreciation and understanding for all the work and preparation that went behind all of the research that in turn we use to make us better educators.

3 comments:

  1. Rachel,
    I felt much of the same apprehension you did coming into this course and agree that the step by step process made things easier to comprehend. Your point is well taken concerning those in our field who have chosen the route of being researchers. What they do is so valuable to all of us as we provide direct service to children. As always, we'll see what is ahead as we continue our journey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Rachel,
    I think all of us felt like you did at one time or another. I really gained much more of the assigned readings when we had to fill out the charts each week. It made more sense and did not overwhelm me with having to compare and contrast the research designs. It was broke down to specific content and terminology I could understand.
    Good luck in your next class. Maybe we will be in another one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel,
    Thanks so much for all of the insight you provided throughout this courage. This has been a tough course for myself and responses were often helpful. I wish you the best on your journey!!

    ReplyDelete