Having to evacuate to a new country with a totally different culture would be quite scary. If I had to immediately choose three items, I know what I would bring. First, I would bring a photo album. I would probably bring the most current one I have. My family, friends and my memories of them are so very precious to me. Next, I would bring my Betty Crocker cookbook. My mother gave it to me when I left home. She had one just like it that her mother gave her when she moved away as well. I feel that food and the sharing of it are a big part of my culture. Finally, I would bring my miniature Christmas tree. Christmas is a very important holiday to me and reminds me so much of family and my special memories and traditions we share.
Now, if I was told upon arrival that I could only keep one, I would keep my photo album. In those photos I could see those I love and remember all of the special times we've shared. I would be very upset to have lost the other two items as they are special to me as well. However, memories about gathering together and sharing good food would still be alive in the pictures I was able to keep.
After reading over what I would pick to keep, it becomes apparent to me how dear i hold family and the special times we share in my culture. The times when my family gathers together are some of the most precious memories I have. Not to mention that there is always an abundance of food involved! I hadn't really made the connection that those items that I hold dear are such an important part of my culture.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI find it interesting how similar our choices are. The Christmas tree was something I would have never thought about yet, what you shared made sense. Those small symbols can trigger so many wonderful memories. I also find it interesting that all the blogs I've read from our group include food! It seems to tell me that it is something that joins us together universally.
Judi
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteMy mother provided me with a cookbook as well and although I use it sparingly, it still holds a place in my heart. This cookbook has been with me for 10 years and my mom seems to find it when she visits.
I never thought of the Christmas tree but once I read your post, I immediately thought of the feelings of love and comfort from the Christmas holiday.
Great post!