When thinking about parents and families that come from diverse backgrounds, my greatest hope as an educator, is that I provide an environemtn where both the student and parents feel welcomed, respected and valued. I think it's safe to say that any person would want that in any situation. However, i feel for a child to learn, this needs to be in place and a well-function relationship with the parents is a must.
If I could set a diversity-related goal for early childhood education, it would be that all undergraduate students should be required to take a course like this. While it's great that I have learned all of this great information now, it would have been very useful when I was just beginning to teach. All of the lessons we learned are vital and all educators should come equipped with these lessons before they ever enter a classroom.
I would like to thank all of my colleagues that have made the journey through this course with me. I rather liked being placed in small groups for discussions and blogging. I felt like I had a trusted group that I could share information with and gain new ideas. I wish you all much success in the future...and enjoy the next two weeks with no assignments!!
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed sharing the discussion group with you during this course. I agree totally that this sort of course should be part of every early childhood professional's initial coursework. I have several young teachers in my program that clearly do not have a grasp of how important it is to be culturally responsive. I hope our paths continue to cross.
Judi
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI have enjoyed reading your posts. You have shared some touching experiences that I can relate to. I wish you the best in your future at Walden and as a E.C. Professional! Thanks for being a great teacher and contributor to the Walden learning environment!