Search This Blog

Saturday, March 10, 2012

Sharing Resources

I have chosen to examine The Harlem Children's Zone website. This site can be accessed through http://www.hcz.org/. This website caught my eye, because it emphasized the "it takes a village" standpoint on fighting poverty for children. Their newsletter stated that it is "...a one-of-a-kind, comprehensive network of education, social-service and community-building programs. This conveyor belt of services for children runs from birth through college" (Canada, 2012).


For me, poverty is an issue that hits home as I teach in a low-income school district. This school district had four of the five factories in it's area closed in the last several years. I don't want to see the students I teach fall victims to poverty. I feel this site could give me ideas on how to better my students' lives.

One thing that really got my attention on the Harlem Children's Zone website was the creation of the Harlem Armory. The Harlem Armory provides a healthy living opportunity for children by providing a gymnasium/fitness club type of atmosphere for children. Many inner-cty children do not get the exposure to playing outdoors and have physical activities introduced like children from the suburbs or rural areas,. This gives those children an outlet for physical activities as well as teaching them about healthy living. I have included a video clip below. If you haven't had an opportunity to view this site, i would highly encourage you to do so.




Reference:
Canada, Geoffrey (Harlem Children's Zone Newsletter (2012).  Retrieved from  http://hcz.convio.net/site/MessageViewer?em_id=2161.0&dlv_id=9801

5 comments:

  1. Hi Rachel, I’m a supporter of The Harlem Children's Zone. The Harlem Children’s Zone is a great representation of good education which will lead to giving children a future. Geoffrey Canada is a great representation of a good educator; he wants all children to get a quality education regardless of economic status.

    Thanks,
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Rachel.

    Thank you for wanting to learn more to help children from falling prey to poverty. I look forward to reading your posts, and seeing what things you have taken from this organization and their newsletters!!

    Great video clip!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Rachel, I am not familiar with The Harlem Children's Zone but after reading your post I will be sure to check the site out. From what you say it seems like the organization is taking a strong stance on minimizing the effects of poverty on children.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Rachel,

    I really enjoyed your post. I am so interested in learning more about The Harlem Children's Zone. Poverty is an issue that needs to be addressed and I give salute to any organization that focuses on poverty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rachel,

    I too teach in a low income school district, so poverty is a big issue where I work. Your web resource seems quite credible and beneficial to the early childhood field. I plan to check it out and I hope we both learn from it.

    Thanks for the resource,
    Arica

    ReplyDelete